Everyone like to buy new things for their holidays and we all have our favourite travel products, but have you ever stopped to think what items are regarded as ‘must haves’ for travel?
If you’re travelling through Heathrow Airport’s Terminal 5 this month you can see the winners of the 2010 Heathrow Travel Product Awards displayed in a newly installed giant suitcase.
The suitcase is the same size as Big Ben’s Great Bell, nearly 3 metres tall and over 2 metres wide – it can hold over 21,000 pairs of knickers, 10,000 bottles of sun cream (150ml) and 83,000 UK passports.
During October it will be home to the 12 winning travel products of 2010 including the Harrods Paddington Bear, an Apple MacBook Pro 15″ and a pair of Ray-Ban Black Suspended Lens sunglasses.
In its second year, the Heathrow Travel Product Awards launched to recognise the best UK travel items asked a panel of experts to shortlist 12 travel categories, which were then made available to the general public for voting via the Heathrow Travel Product Awards microsite.
Brian Woodhead, Retail Concessions Director at Heathrow, said: “The Heathrow Travel Product Awards were launched to showcase the many brands and products sold at the airport. It’s great to see what our passengers really value when they travel – and the luxuries and essentials they just can’t live without.
“We hope the awards will not only raise awareness of the offering at Heathrow – and the substantial savings that can be made – but also our commitment to making every journey better than the last one.”
If you can’t make it to Terminal 5 or want to know in advance of travelling, here’s the top 12 Travel Products of 2010
1. Top Travel Must-Have – Trunki Children’s Tipu Ladybird Case
2. Top Technology – Apple MacBook Pro 15″
3. Best Travel Entertainment – Nintendo DS – Brain Training game
4. Best Camera – Canon 500D
5. Best Handbag – Smythson Nancy Tote
6. Best Sunglasses – Ray-Ban Black Suspended Lens
7. Best Travel Beauty Product – Prevage anti-age serum
8. Best Men’s Fragrance – Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme
9. Best Women’s Fragrance – Marc Jacobs Lola Velvet EDP
10. Best Watch & Jewellery – Omega Speedmaster Professional
11. Top Travel Gift – Harrods Paddington Bear
12. Top Travel Read – ‘At Home’ by Bill Bryson